Seeing the project from a completely different perspective after receiving the “finished product” from London
“Wait… is it really okay for things to be this quiet!?”
Even though I was right in the middle of a system development project, the scene in front of me was surprisingly calm.
Until now, I had experienced many projects where I was on the “system-building” side.
We gathered requirements, designed the system, developed it, and tested it.
When a project reached its peak, there could be more than 100 developers involved. Questions came from everywhere, issues piled up, meetings increased, documents multiplied, and before I knew it, even my desk had become chaos.
“There were days when I couldn’t tell whether I was building a system or just organizing my desk.”
That kind of day was not unusual.
But this time, the landscape was completely different in a system implementation project bringing a system from London to Japan.
Stepping Into a Project Where I’m Not Developing the System
The system this time had already been developed on the London side, and our task was to implement the completed system in Japan.
In other words, I wasn’t directly involved in the development itself.
For me, that was a surprisingly significant experience.
Even when the project reached its peak, the number of people didn’t suddenly explode.
Everyone simply and steadily worked on their assigned testing and preparation tasks.
Little by little, the completed system arrived from London.
At the same time, the surrounding systems in Japan were gradually taking shape.
Unit testing was already complete.
System testing was also complete.
And now, everyone was getting ready to tackle the final major hurdle: system integration testing.
That was when I suddenly realized something.
“I see. A system project continues for a surprisingly long time even after development is finished.”
It’s Supposed to Be Finished—So Why Doesn’t It Work?
In reality, when you test a system after development is complete, all kinds of things happen.
It doesn’t behave as expected.
Data doesn’t integrate properly.
Something looks wrong on the screen.
Unexpected problems appear when the system is connected to another system.
Fixing one issue creates an impact somewhere else.
So just because development is finished doesn’t mean you can immediately go live.
From there, you spend about three months conducting thorough testing.
Once testing is complete, the next step is migration planning.
Another three months or so may then be spent running simulations and rehearsals again and again.
Announcements to stakeholders.
System briefings.
Connection tests with partner companies.
Step by step, all these checks are completed as the project moves toward the production launch.
The Calm Before Go-Live
What I find interesting is how surprisingly quiet the project site is.
If this were the peak of a development project, it would be much noisier.
More people would arrive. More issues would appear. More meetings would be scheduled.
But this time, it’s different.
At first glance, it looks as though everyone is simply moving forward with their work in a calm and steady way.
But behind the scenes, countless things are gradually being prepared for go-live: systems, data, people, organizations, operations, networks, migration plans, and much more.
Watching this process, I felt as though I was witnessing the calm before a storm.
The storm of go-live hasn’t arrived yet.
But preparations are steadily moving forward toward that day.
What I experienced through this project was more than simply “system implementation.”
It was the long journey of taking a completed system and turning it into something that can actually be used in the real business world—something I had not fully seen because I had usually been on the development side.
A system is not finished when it is built.
In fact, after development is complete, the real work of connecting the system with people, organizations, business processes, and other systems begins so that it can truly create value.
Perhaps that process is what a project really is.
As I continue following the system that came from London, I’ve learned another important lesson about the depth and complexity of system projects.
And for now, I’m enjoying this quiet moment before the big storm of go-live arrives.
コメント
コメントを投稿