スキップしてメイン コンテンツに移動

ブログを翻訳

What Does an IT Planning Department Actually Do? — From Building Systems to Deciding What to Build

Wait… I’m the one moving to the “client side”?


It was my eighth year with the company.

Until then, I had spent most of my career building systems.

I gathered requirements, designed systems, developed them, tested them, and released them.

When one project ended, I simply moved on to the next.

That was the work I had been doing over and over again.

Suddenly, I Was Moving to the “Client Side”

At the time, I was working on the vendor side, receiving orders from another company.

I had seen several people around me being assigned to the companies that were actually placing the orders.

“Huh. So that’s another way of working.”

That was about as far as I had thought about it.

Then, one day:

“Yamaguchi-san, we have an opportunity for you to be assigned to another company.”

My heart skipped a beat.

So, it was finally my turn.

But when I heard the details, it was different from the assignments I had seen before.

I was going to be assigned to the client side.

“The client side?”

“The side that places the orders?”

“The side that plans the systems?”

My head was suddenly filled with questions.

My position was clearly going to be very different from what I had experienced before.

From “Building Systems” to “Seeing the Whole Company”

Fortunately, there was a predecessor in the position.

So, the first thing I did was listen carefully to what my predecessor had to say.

That was when I gradually began to understand what an IT Planning Department actually does.

Its job is not simply to build systems.

You need to understand the current state of IT across the entire company.

What systems are already in place?

What risks exist?

What needs to change in the future?

In other words, rather than looking at individual systems, the role was about looking at IT from the perspective of the entire company and thinking about where it should go next.

The major projects had already been completed.

So from that point on, management and governance would become a major part of the job.

At the same time, we also had to start planning the next generation of projects.

“Okay… this is completely different from what I’ve been doing.”

Little by little, I began to see what the job was really about.

Two Years Felt Surprisingly Long

There was one rule about this assignment.

My predecessor had spent two years in the role.

And I would spend two years there as well.

No matter what happened, the assignment would end after two years.

“Two years…”

Honestly, it felt a little long.

Most of the projects I had worked on until then lasted anywhere from three months to about a year.

For someone who was used to moving from one short-term project to another, staying in the same place for two years felt strangely long.

But when I thought about it more carefully, I realized there would be plenty to do.

Understand the company’s overall IT landscape.

Identify and manage risks.

Coordinate with vendors.

Organize the needs of management and the business.

And think about the next IT strategy and projects.

“Will I actually be able to make an impact?”

That uncertainty was there.

And there was another thought.

This was a temporary assignment.

“Do I need to make sure my own company benefits from this as well?”

I found myself thinking about all kinds of things.

The IT Planning Department: “The IT Team That Doesn’t Just Build Systems”

But strangely enough, I felt more excited than anxious.

Until then, my focus had been on building systems.

Now, I would be on the other side, thinking about why the company should use a system and how it should evolve.

An IT Planning Department is not simply a department that orders systems from vendors.

It is a department that connects the future of the company with IT.

Once I saw it that way, two years no longer seemed too long.

In fact, perhaps two years was exactly what was needed to understand the company as a whole and think seriously about its next move.

My eighth year with the company.

After years of building systems, I was now moving to the other side—to the side that asks:

“What should we build in the first place?”

That assignment became a major turning point in my career as an IT engineer.

And that experience later became an important foundation for how I approached DX and IT strategy.

I can do this! Let’s take the first step tomorrow.

コメント

このブログの人気の投稿

「え、Cosminexusって何?HiRDBってまだあるの!?」— 国産ミドルウェアの光と影

えっ!?Cosminexus(コズミネクサス)って何?HiRDB(ハイアールディービー)ってまだあるの? そう驚く人もいるかもしれない。 実は、 CosminexusやHiRDBは今も販売され続けている 。 しかし、日立を離れた私の耳には、もうその名前が入ってくることはほとんどなくなってしまった。 かつて日本企業のIT基盤を支えてきた 国産ミドルウェアの歴史 と、 グローバル市場での戦い ——。 そこから見えてくる、日本企業が今後学ぶべきこととは何だろうか? ▼開発会社選びに悩んでいる方はこちら   ホストからオープンシステムへ—CosminexusとHiRDBの誕生 時は1990年代後半。 メインフレーム(ホストコンピューター)からオープンシステムへ という大転換が世界的に進んでいた。 従来のホストは高価で扱いづらく、企業はより柔軟な アプリケーションサーバ と RDB(リレーショナルデータベース) を求めるようになった。 そこで日立製作所が投入したのが、 Cosminexus(アプリケーションサーバ) と HiRDB(データベース) だ。 これらは 日本の大手企業向けに最適化 されており、特に JP1(統合運用管理ソフトウェア) と組み合わせることで、日立案件では鉄板のセットとなっていた。 しかし——。 世界を席巻するApache、Oracleの波 Cosminexusは、 オープンソースのApache Tomcatを内包 しながらも、パフォーマンス向上やエンタープライズ機能を強化していた。 HiRDBも 高い信頼性とスケーラビリティを誇り、かゆいところに手が届く設計 で、ユーザーからの評判は決して悪くなかった。 ところが、ここで市場の大波が襲いかかる。 世界ではApache TomcatやOracle WebLogic、IBM WebSphereなどのミドルウェアが爆発的にシェアを伸ばしていた。 特に、 ✅ Oracle Database → 巨大なマーケティング戦略+グローバル企業の標準に ✅ Apache Tomcat → 無料&オープンソースで圧倒的普及 こうした 海外勢の猛攻 の前に、国産ミドルウェアは徐々にシェアを失っていく。 競争が激化するミドルウェア市場 1️⃣ コストの問題 オ...

EA導入で企業は何が変わる?実践事例を紹介

企業のITシステム環境が複雑化する中、「どのシステムを使えばいいのか分からない」「システム同士が連携しない」といった悩みを抱える企業が増えています。こうした課題を解決するために注目されているのが、エンタープライズアーキテクチャ(EA)です。EAを導入することで、企業はどのように変わるのでしょうか?実際の事例を基に、その効果を解説します。 1. 迷いがちなシステム選び、EAで見える化 企業には、ERP(統合基幹業務システム)、CRM(顧客管理システム)、BIツール(ビジネスインテリジェンス)など、さまざまなITツールがあります。それぞれが高度な機能を持つ一方で、「導入したものの活用できていない」「類似機能を持つシステムが重複している」といった課題に直面する企業も少なくありません。 そこで登場するのがEAです。EAは、企業全体の業務プロセスやシステム構成を可視化し、どのシステムが必要で、どのシステムが不要かを明確にします。これにより、無駄な投資や重複した機能を排除することが可能になります。 2. グローバル企業におけるEAの重要性 特にグローバル展開をしている企業では、EAの導入が「基本の基」と言えるほど重要です。私が関わったある企業では、各国のオフィスが独自のシステムを運用しており、情報の一元化が困難でした。例えば、同じERPを使っているはずが、国ごとに設定が異なり、データの統合に多大なコストがかかっていました。 EAを導入した結果、全世界で統一されたシステム基盤が構築され、データのやり取りがスムーズに。さらに、不要なシステムが削減され、年間数百万ドルのコスト削減が実現しました。 3. EA導入でスリム化するシステム構成 EAを導入すると、システム構成が驚くほどすっきりします。私が担当したある製造業の企業では、導入前は50以上のシステムが稼働しており、どれが本当に必要なのかさえ分からない状態でした。EAを用いて業務プロセスを可視化したところ、実際に使われているシステムは全体の30%程度。残りは重複した機能や過去の遺産的なシステムでした。 最終的には、使うべきシステムが20個に絞り込まれ、メンテナンスコストも約半分に削減。さらに、社員がどのシステムを使えば良いか迷わなくなり、業務効率が大幅に向上しました。 4. 企業に変革をもたらすEAの効果 EAは、単なるシステム整理...

中小企業診断士ってどうなの?―失敗と涙、そして未来への扉

マジで!?中小企業診断士の試験、やばすぎる! かつて、私も何度も挑戦し、幾度も壁にぶつかりました。試験は本当に厳しく、合格するためには何度も失敗を経験。最後に合格できたとき、思わずとんかつを頬張りながら涙を流したほどです。この苦い経験が、今の私のキャリアと人生観を大きく変えました。 試験の苦悩とその価値 中小企業診断士の試験は、全体的な構造化と論理的思考力を問われるため、ただ単に知識を詰め込むだけでは乗り越えられません。 難易度の高さ :私自身、数回の不合格を経験しました。合格できたのは、失敗から学び、試験問題の構造を徹底的に分析した結果でした。 実例に基づく問題 :各サービス企業の事例が盛り込まれ、実際のビジネス現場を想定した複雑な問題が多く出題されます。これにより、単なるテスト以上の実務に近い知識とスキルが求められるのです。 この試験に挑んだ経験は、単に資格を得るためのものではなく、 自分自身の論理的思考力と状況把握能力を飛躍的に伸ばす貴重なトレーニング となりました。 資格取得後の別世界―新たなキャリアの扉 資格を取得した瞬間、私は全く別の世界に足を踏み入れたことに気づきました。中小企業診断士協会や各支部に所属し、そこから仕事依頼が舞い込み、企業の経営改善に貢献する場が広がります。 コンサルティングの現場 :実際、コンサル企業が依頼を受け、チームで対応しているのと似た構造を持ちます。しかし、中小企業を対象としているため、案件の金額は大手コンサルに比べると低いのが現実です。 キャリアとしての厳しさ :中小企業診断士だけで生活するのは容易ではありません。しかし、ITを中心にキャリアを積む場合、取得した経験は日本企業で大きなアドバンテージとなります。 また、グローバルな視点で見ると、MBAの方が知名度は高いかもしれませんが、 日本国内においては中小企業診断士の知識と経験は絶大な価値 を持ちます。私の体験は、試験そのものが非常に難しく、現実に即した問題が出題されるからこそ、実務に役立つ力が自然と身につくということを実感させてくれました。 グローバル市場との認識の違いと今後の展望 世界では、MBAが広く認知され、グローバル企業での評価も高いですが、日本では中小企業診断士も根強い支持を受けています。 グローバルな評価 :今後、海外でも日本の高い技術力や経営手法に対する関心...