What I Learned from a Global Systems Project About Another Kind of Expertise: “Systems Interpretation”
“Wait, if you can talk about systems in English, why can’t you interpret?”
When I was working as a systems specialist on a global project, I ran into this wall many times.
I had spent years studying systems.
I joined global projects and discussed systems with people from around the world. My English was decent, too. At the time, my TOEIC score was 790.
So naturally, I thought:
“I can talk about systems in English. Then I should be able to interpret, too.”
But when I actually tried it…
No. This is tough.
“Speaking” and “Interpreting” Are Different
Speaking about my own ideas in English?
I could manage that.
I could also follow about 70 or 80 percent of what the other person was saying.
When it comes to systems, many technical terms are already in English.
System Architecture, Application, Database, Interface, Integration, Cloud…
In fact, because system terminology itself becomes a common language, communication is relatively straightforward.
I could even manage system discussions somehow.
Then someone would say:
“Okay, could you interpret for us?”
That was where I entered a completely different world.
Interpreting Is Not the Same as “Speaking”
First, I had to understand what the Japanese speaker was saying.
Then I had to organize the meaning in my head.
And translate it into English.
Next, the other person would speak in English.
I had to understand that.
And then translate it back into Japanese.
In other words, unlike when I am simply expressing my own opinion, I have to process two people’s thoughts at the same time.
On top of that, the amount of time I spend speaking becomes much longer.
And then the pressure comes immediately.
“Please translate faster.”
Whoa, whoa, whoa.
This is actually pretty damn difficult.
Having technical knowledge does not mean you can understand everything instantly.
“Could you repeat that last part?”
I would ask them to repeat themselves.
And then the pressure would build again.
“Are there really people who can do simultaneous interpretation of this?”
Honestly, that was what I thought at first.
“No way. How can you even understand the meaning when you don't have time to process it?”
Still, I kept doing it again and again.
Listen, understand, organize, interpret.
And then listen again.
That Struggle Made My English Stronger
The interesting thing is that, through repeating these experiences, my English gradually became stronger.
I was using my systems expertise to understand English.
And I was using English to understand the essence of systems.
It was an environment where I could strengthen both at the same time.
I am not a translator.
I am not an interpreter, either.
I am a systems professional, first and foremost.
But precisely because of that, I was able to gain experience moving back and forth between systems and English.
A Job You “Can’t Do” Might Be the Beginning of Growth
Looking back now, those unexpected requests—“Please interpret for us”—were actually incredibly valuable experiences.
I couldn't do it.
It was difficult.
There was pressure.
But because I put myself in that environment, I was able to strengthen both my technical expertise and my English.
As DX and globalization continue to advance, professionals are expected to have more than just specialized knowledge. They also need the ability to connect that knowledge across different people and organizations.
You don't have to be perfect.
It's okay to start at 70 or 80 percent.
Beyond that, there is an experience that brings you closer to 100 percent.
That “slightly impossible” task standing in front of you right now—
How do you see it?
Perhaps it is actually an opportunity to develop a new area of expertise.
I can do it! I’ll take the first step tomorrow.
コメント
コメントを投稿